Saturday, December 24, 2011

How do you switch to igoogle or another home page as painlessly as possible? New "My Yahoo" sucks,?

Unfortunately, it is NOT easy to replicate what you had on the former My Yahoo. I've tried iGoogle, Netvibes, MyWay, and Pageflakes. The problem with each of them is that Yahoo has certain modules that, for me, still work better than their equivalent at those other sites. For example: local movie listings, TV listings, sports scoreboard, etc. At Yahoo, each of these can be customized: I have only the theaters I want to see, only the TV channels I watch, only the sports team I'm interested in. I haven't found that level of customization at the other sites.





However, I agree that the new My Yahoo destroyed some of the useful functions of the former version and is uglier and less flexible in layout and color. Register SPECIFIC complaints at this page and maybe they'll fix the worst aspects of the new version:





http://feedback.help.yahoo.com/feedback.鈥?/a>|||I don't know easiest way to switch but agree the new MyYahoo is TERRIBLE. I'm not one to complain, but the new MyYahoo is COSTING me money, wasting my time and killing my carpal tunnel.





As a pure feedreader the OLD MyYahoo was the best I could find for what I need. PLEASE PLEASE give us the option of going back to our old MyYahoo page.





However, as far as switching over iGoogle does not give me what I need and is very limited as a feedreader. NetVibes is better. BUT the OLD MyYahoo was best as a pure feedreader. I would give anything to get it back.|||Switching is easy! Simply open a new tab (if you are using a tabbed browser, if not, just type over the yahoo url):


* www.google.com


* Select (click on) the small "iGoogle" blue hot link near the top far right next to the Sign In link


* just below the search box you should see a line with a hot link that reads "(Don't have an iGoogle page? Get started.)"


* Click on the "get started" link, and you'll be on your way in minutes.


* After you get your format set up, browse through all the really cool "gadgets" Google has to offer and decide what you want to add to your personalized page.


* Unlike Yahoo, Google lets you decide which column AND which order you want your content and feeds and gadgets to appear, simply by "dragging and dropping them"


I DID NOT GO HUNTING FOR A BETTER MOUSETRAP. I JUST GOT FED UP WITH YAHOO CONSTANTLY TAKING AWAY THE CLASSIC MY.YAHOO HOME PAGE AND FORCING ME TO HUNT FOR THE OPTION TO CONVERT IT BACK AND ANSWER THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN, WHICH THEY IGNORED ANYWAY. NO WONDER THE COMPANY IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES|||jgbutke has it right on the head. The constant request to switch to the new yahoo were very annoying.





I wish that I were qualified to vote for an answer, but I guess I have to post 130 more messages until I am qualified.





As an aside, I find this Level Rating pretty ridiculous. All I have to do to be rated higher in this system is continuously post messages. This damages the overall quality of these forums.... it doesn't help.

No comments:

Post a Comment